The perfect addition to your vegan holiday table or any time you need a comforting weeknight veggie fix! Make sure to make the gravy so you have lots to go around on side dishes like mashed potatoes! The cauliflower can also be prepared several hours in advance and left in the fridge and then baked in the hour before serving.
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp Olive Us Garlic Olive Oil (or Herbs de Provence, Tuscan Herb, or Rosemary olive oil)
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1/2 an apple, roughly chopped
- 2 vegan “sausages”, roughly chopped (or 1 can of preferred beans or lentils, pre soaked or canned)
- 8 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 1 cup vegetable broth, divided
- 2 Tbsp Olive Us Maple Dark Balsamic (or our Fig or Traditional Dark Balsamic)
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp Olive Us Garlic Olive Oil (or Herbs de Provence, Tuscan Herb, or Rosemary olive oil)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Us Applewood Smoked Cracked Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Scape Salt (or Roasted Garlic Salt)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
Mushroom Gravy (Vegan):
- 4 Tbsp Olive Us Garlic Olive Oil (or our Tuscan Herb, Single Varietal, or Herbs de Provence olive oil)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms, sliced or minced
- 1 tsp Garlic Scape Salt (or Roasted Garlic Salt)
- 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive Us Maple Dark Balsamic (or our Fig or Traditional Dark Balsamic)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 Tbsp rosemary, minced (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
To make the gravy:
Over medium-high heat saute the mushrooms and shallots in the olive oil until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the soy sauce, balsamic, garlic, thyme, and rosemary and sprinkle with flour. Cook for 2 minutes to lightly brown, stirring occasionally. Pour in the broth and stir to incorporate. Let simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened to the desired level. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To make the cauliflower:
Preheat the oven to 425F.
In a small bowl, make the rub. Set aside.
In a large, heavy bottomed baking dish or Dutch oven, toss the vegetables (other than the cauliflower) and sausage with the olive oil. Spoon as much gravy into the bottom of the cauliflower as possible (about 1/2 cup). Place it on top of the vegetables in the Dutch oven. Rub the cauliflower all over with the rub, ensuring it goes into all the crevices. Put the lid on and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the lid, add the remaining 1/2 cup of stock, reduce the temperature to 375F and bake for another 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the cauliflower is just tender. Carve, top with gravy, and enjoy!
Gravy recipe adapted from https://www.loveandlemons.com/mushroom-gravy/.